Thursday, August 18, 2011

Funny Story

Kelly and I were up on the "Field of Dreams" at Chico just running around with Tater (the corgi) and taking some pictures. It was the last morning of the trip, the car was packed, we just wanted a good picture of this potential wedding site to take home with us.

On the last photo I clicked the button to set the 10 second timer... ran over to be in the picture with Kelly.... and fell into a gopher hole. It was pretty crazy, but luckily the timer on the camera caught Kelly and Tater coming to my rescue!!

After I rolled my ankle. 

Field of Dreams 

Tater in the field

Elevating and icing! 

A little more ice before our 12 hour car  ride home!

This is a day 3 picture. Look at the sweet  bruise!
Kelly luckily had his cell phone on him so he called Chico's front desk so I wouldn't have to hike down. One of their grounds guys came up and took us three down in a golf cart. He was so nice and went straight to the gift shop for something to drink and some advil. When he saw how huge my foot had already swollen up he thought I needed to see a doctor right away.

This was definitely not my first sprain so I knew what to expect so I left my first aid needs in the hands of my future husband. Kelly was pre-med for a year and apparently had a couple years of athletic training in high school. His first reaction after I stopped crying and he looked at my ankle was "Well there isn't anything sticking out." Thanks Kel. :) He also joked that the camera may have caught a picture of him passing out if he saw the actual sprain, but fortunately it was deep in a gopher hole and I just looked like I was tripping.

But really, Kelly did a great job wrapping my ankle up and keeping ice on it for the day or two following the gopher-hole injury.

I thought this was pretty funny, and luckily it was just a sprain, and the fact the camera caught a picture of it is pretty great. I love the moments I get to spend with people doing challenging things; at work, at home, backpacking, learning new skills etc. Sometimes they are freak accidents that become opportunities to deal with a challenge that you aren't always prepared for but will put you into that survival mode where your character of compassion, patience and strength will really come through.

And the people that help with the after math thank you! Thanks Mom for helping with laundry and driving, Becca for dinner help, Christa for the vino and fun company, Austin's medical expertise, and lots of concerned texts :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment